Built in 1244 at the behest of viterbese Raniero Capocci, papal notary, it was recovered after important restoration work conducted by the University of Tuscia since 1996. The complex is still impressive and rich in historical and artistic testimonies.
About 122 courses (first and second cycle) are yearly offered as well as 44 master and specialization and 23 PhD courses, targeted to the training of specific professional figures, often in cooperation with external institutions and companies - a galaxy which attracted 11,085 first-year students in 2013/2014 academic year. The University General Hospital is a local health corporation that works in synergy with the Faculty of Medicine. It provides beds, day-hospital beds, and a first-aid service.