In the autumn 1945, local chemical factories suggested the establishment of a chemical college in Pardubice. Five years later, on June 27, 1950, the Czech government established the Chemical Institute. The classes started on October 15, 1950 in the restored buildings of the former Technical College of Food Industry. In the following academic year, the former building of the Technical College of Engineering was reconstructed for the needs of the Chemical Institute and since then has been in use as the main building of the Faculty of Chemical Technology in the Cs. legii square.
The University offers more than sixty study programmes with almost one hundred and thirty study specializations. All are designed in accordance with the Bologna Declaration and modern trends in higher education. Most Bachelor´s study courses offer follow-up Master´s programmes. Full-time and part-time studies are available. Apart from teaching, the University of Pardubice is also renowned for its numerous scientific and research activities which contribute to an excellent national and international reputation. The numerous of specialized departments and other organizations, institutions and associations which have been operating at the university contribute to this fact.