The University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno was founded on December 12, 1918 by Act no. 76/1918 Coll. upon the creation of the Czechoslovak State Veterinary University in Brno. It was the first university to be formed after the creation of the Republic of Czechoslovakia. It was founded within the premises of what had once been cavalry barracks and a provincial training school.
Scientific, research and creative activities all form an integral part of the university. These activities take place within the university faculties. To obtain funding , as a rule, the university competes with other applicants for financing from external sources. The most important source of financing are funds for research projects, funds for institutional and specific research projects, a national research programme, grants from grant agencies, contractual research with companies and other possible issuers, including shares for resolving international projects.