Photo by Charles Deluvio via Unsplash
Erasmus Mundus LEADERS (Leading mobility between Europe and Asia in Developing Engineering Education and Research) is a scholarship programme offering mobility opportunities of high quality students and emerging, early stage and established researchers/professionals on Undergraduate, Masters, Doctoral, Post-Doctoral as well as Academic and Administrative Staff members from South-East Asia to European Union and vice versa.
The areas of interest spans around Electrical, Electronics engineering and Information and Communication Technologies, Photonics, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Power systems and energy, Informatics, Communication Engineering and Microwaves.
EM LEADERS give students, researchers and staff from European Union and the South and South-East Asia the opportunity to study, do research, training or teaching at one of the Partner Universities (Host Universities).
How long is the duration of the programme?
Applicants must first identify themselves which Target Group (TG1, TG2, TG3) they belong in. The three TGs distinguishes its applicants by their academic status and national conditions.
The duration of the programme is 6 months/12 months for students with undergraduate/masters level, 6 months/12 months/36 months for Doctorate level and 6 months only for Post-Doctoral level.
Who can apply to this programme?
- For Asian
Have not resided nor have carried out their main activity (studies, work, etc) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of the European countries at the time of submitting their application to the partnership. This rule does not apply to TG3 candidates.
- For student
(UG, MSc, PhD, Post-Doc)
Have not benefited from a secondary scholarship for the same type of mobility under another Erasmus Mundus External Cooperation Window or Erasmus Mundus Action 2-STRAND1 project.
- Have not benefited from more than one mobility activity within the same project.
- Have sufficient knowledge of the language of the courses or of one of the languages currently spoken in the hosting countries.
Eligibility criteria for Asian students (Undergraduates, Masters, Doctorates and Post-Doctorates):
- Must be a national of one of the third-countries covered by the relevant lot (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Philippines, Thailand, China, North Korea).
- For Target Group 1 (TGI)
Students need to be registered at one of the third-country HEIs within the partnership at the time of submitting their application to the partnership. Undergraduate students must have successfully completed at least one year of studies in their home institution;
- For Target Group 2 (TGII)
Students need either to be registered in a HEI (not included in the partnership) of the third-country concerned by the lot or to have obtained a university degree or equivalent from a HEI of these third-countries.
- For Target Group 3 (TGIII)
Students need to be nationals of one of the third-countries concerned by the lot and be part of the vulnerable target groups (proof is required).
What does this scholarship programme cover?
EM LEADERS scholarship covers monthly subsistence allowances as below:
- 1,000 € for Undergraduate/Masters
- 1,500 € for PhD
- 1,800 € for Post-Doc
- 2,500 € for Staff
They also provide insurance coverage for the period of the mobility, travel costs (return flight in economy class) as well as tuition fee (participation costs) at the host university.
How to apply?
Below we give you the step-by-step guide in brief. For details, click here.
- Check if you meet their eligibility criteria.
- Check the available scholarships and their duration.
- Choose the host university; this includes the academic program among the academic programs available. Also check the language, the academic requirements and the admission conditions at the host university for the program that chosen.
- Register through their official site, fill out their online application and fulfill their other requirements such as a scanned copy of degree certificates, proof of English language knowledge, motivation letter, etc.