25th in the UK for research quality (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020)
Essex introduces you to people from every corner of the world to create networks that last for life. We are a genuinely global community that lives, works and plays together. You study an internationally relevant curriculum and are taught by academics whose research has global impact.
The university spans three campuses. The main campus in Colchester is a university town with one of the most internationally diverse campus universities in the UK which offers highest numbers of student clubs and societies. It’s only an hour away from London yet provides a very affordable and safe student experience.
Our town-center Southend campus houses our Entrepreneurship and Innovation courses.
Our Loughton campus is dedicated to the East 15 Acting School on the doorstep of the London theatre scene.
• 25th in the UK for research quality (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020)
• 4th for spend on services and facilities per student (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020)
• Essex is top 15 for the seventh year running in the NSS (2019, overall student satisfaction, English mainstream universities*)
• 87% of our international students are in professional employment or postgraduate study within six months of graduating from Essex (DLHE 2017)
- Top 5 in the UK for Social Science Research (REF 2014)
- GOLD status in Teaching Excellent Framework
We are a university where curiosity prevails, and where exploring new ways of thinking and pushing boundaries, isn’t just encouraged, it’s expected. We are committed to two things: excellence in teaching and excellence in research. Our students are members of a unique, transformational living and learning community which empowers them with the skills to make a difference to the world around them. https://www.essex.ac.uk/about/