The Ecole de Chimie de Rennes was created in 1919 at the initiative of the Chamber of Commerce within the framework of the Polytechnic Institute of Brittany and then the Polytechnic Institute of the West. The engineers, whose first promotion was graduated in 1921, were destined for the metallurgical and mining industries as well as the food industries.
As a Grande Ecole, Rennes Graduate School of Chemistry (ENSCR) ‘s primary mission for more than 90 years has been to train chemistry engineers and doctors to meet the needs of many industrial sectors in Europe and throughout the world. The School prepares for various jobs and activities (research and development, production, analysis, quality, hygiene and security, business management...) practised in many branches (chemical industry, petrochemistry, environment, pharmacy, cosmetics, energy, biotechnologies ...). Many of these responsability positions lead to international careers ENSCR is a member of the Federation Gay-Lussac (FGL), French national network of 20 Schools of chemical engineer.